I have been thinking about, reading about and viewing blogs for a while now and they seem to me to fall into a number of loosely definable categories:
- Confessional - I am suicidal
- Corporate - Microsoft/Sun/etc
- Professional - Librarians/Researchers/Surfers (waves dude)
- Political - Parties and orgs. Not blogs *about* politics but blogs *by* politicians (in a very broad sense)
- Conversational - I am interested in these things, talk with me and others about them
- Journalistic - By journalists [ ahhh there's the rub :-) ]
I will expand in coming posts, but it is the last two that seem to be causing the problem of "is blogging journalism".
When we (journalists) say "that is not journalism" what exactly do we base that on? How do we define "journalism?" And why is our/my/your definition any better than theirs (whoever they may be).
Open for discussion!